Clerk to Governors
The closing date for this post is Thursday 8th June.
Brampton Village Primary School are looking to recruit a Clerk to the Governors.
The successful applicant will need to provide the Governing Body with procedural advice in carrying out its statutory obligations and administrative support in fulfilling its strategic functions. Your work will include providing clerking to the Governing Body committee meetings and panel hearings including pupil exclusions and complaints.
Your duties will include agenda preparation, attending meetings, taking notes, providing procedural advice, and carrying out follow up action, including the running of governor elections. Proven clerking experience in the education sector will be a distinct advantage in this role, as you will be supporting the Headteacher and Governors to ensure the smooth running of the Governing Body.
Training will be provided for candidates who require it.
You will have good note-taking skills, experience of writing minutes, be familiar with Word and Windows, and have the ability to relate well to a variety of people. You will have good communication skills, the ability to handle conflicts of opinion and the confidence to offer unbiased advice. You will be highly motivated and have the flexibility to work both on your own initiative and as a team member.
The ability to prioritise your workload to meet strict deadlines whilst maintaining good quality is essential. Some awareness or experience of school administration would be helpful. The post holder will need to have a flexible approach to time.
Governing body meetings are held both in the daytime and evenings. This post would ideally suit someone who would like to work around a family or a second job.
The role requires:
• Creating agendas 3 weeks before meetings and sending to Head and Chair for amendments
• Adding agendas and papers to the online filing system a week before the meeting and informing members they are there.
• Attending 6 Full governing body meetings a year and taking minutes for these.
• There are usually 3 committee meetings a term, some of these are held in the day, some evenings - these need to be minuted too.
• Draft minutes have to be typed up and sent to the Head and Chair within a week.
• Keeping membership up to date, informing the Local Authority of changes.
• Attend clerk briefings once a term and update the governing body on any changes or updates which arise from these.
• Circulating any correspondence via email.
• Answering or sourcing answers to any questions which may arise - there are places to get help and support from.
• There are annual statutory things that need doing (eg forms governors have to complete, information to be updated on the website etc).
• Maintain a record of training.
This is an excellent opportunity if you have an interest in children’s education and would like to become involved in the interesting and rewarding work of supporting school governors.
We welcome enquiries about this post so please got in touch with the School Office via email@example.com or 01480 375063. Application forms can be obtained from the School Office or school website (under the Vacancies tab) and should be returned to the School Office.
Closing Date for applications: noon on Thursday 8th June
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Start Date: July / September 2023
Salary: from £11 per hour
Hours: Approximately 2 Full Governing Body and 2 Committee meetings each term.
More details can be supplied on request.
Brampton Village Primary School is an equal opportunities employer and employs suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. Any appointments will be subject to satisfactory pre-employment clearances including the right to work in the UK, an enhanced DBS check and two satisfactory references.