Mathematics equips pupils with the uniquely powerful set of tools to understand and change the world. These tools include logical reasoning, problem solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways. Mathematics is important in everyday life. It is integral to all aspects of life and, with this in mind, at Brampton Village Primary school we endeavour to ensure that children develop positive attitudes towards mathematics that will stay with them always.
We aim to foster a sound understanding and enjoyment of all elements of mathematics, providing opportunities to develop skills through challenging, engaging and practical mathematical experiences. Through structured learning, pupils are encouraged to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, with the ability to reason mathematically and apply skills and knowledge to solve mathematical problems.
We provide pupils with a rich mathematics curriculum. and high quality teaching, to produce individuals who are numerate, creative, independent, inquisitive, enquiring and confident. Our pupils should:
- Have a well-developed sense of the size of a number and where it fits into the number system
- Know by heart age appropriate number facts such as number bonds, multiplication tables, doubles and halves
- Use what they know by heart to figure out numbers mentally
- Calculate accurately and efficiently, both mentally and in writing and paper, drawing on a range of calculation strategies
- Make sense of number problems, including non-routine/’real’ problems and identify the operations needed to solve them
- Explain their methods and reasoning, using correct mathematical terms
- Judge whether their answers are reasonable and have strategies for checking them where necessary
- Suggest suitable units for measuring and make sensible estimates of measurements
- Explain and make predictions from the numbers in graphs, diagrams, charts and tables
- Develop spatial awareness and an understanding of the properties of 2d and 3d shapes
Please click on the link below for information from our maths meeting for Reception parents: